15 Apr Is Your Baby Getting Enough Milk? How To Manage Your Breastmilk Supply
As a new Mom, there are so many questions you have and so much conflicting advice available. This can cause confusion at a time when your brain is already foggy! Here is an easy to read guide to help you to see whether you are feeding your baby enough breast milk.
Things To Note When Asking ‘How Much Milk is Enough?’
- Is your baby’s weight increasing steadily?
- The number of wet nappies – your baby should have about 6 a day and 3 to 4 bowel movements a day.
- How often you feed – newborns tend to feed 8 to 12 times a day – approximately every 2 to 3 hours.
- Is your baby happy between feeds? If she is active and not fussing or crying she is getting enough milk.
What affects Your Breastmilk Supply
There are a few factors that can affect a mother’s milk supply. Namely:
- Starting feeding too late – you need to start feeding immediately after birth if possible.
- Too long breaks between feeds – at least 8 to 12 times a day.
- Taking certain medicines
- Latching incorrectly – no encouraging milk flow
- Breast surgery
- Premature birth – not strong enough to suck
- High blood pressure due to pregnancy
- Insulin dependent diabetes
How to Increase your Breastmilk Supply
There are a few easy steps moms can take to increase their breastmilk supply. All you need to do is follow theses tips:
- Breastfeed as soon after birth as possible
- Use your pump regularly – the more you pump the more milk you will make
- Breastfeed often – breastmilk is digested in 1 ½ and 2 hours
- Latch properly
- Alternate sides
- Don’t stop feeding times – pump at work when you would be feeding
- Discuss any medication you are taking with your doctor
- Seek help from a lactation specialist
- Don’t panic
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Get rest – fatigue will affect your milk supply
Milk production is a “Use it or Lose it” process. The more often and effectively your baby nurses or pumping you do the more milk you will make! A great product to help you maintain your breastmilk supply is the Medela Mini Electric. For the month of April it will be running at a whopping 25% off! Pick up yours right here before they are sold out.