24 May How to Practice Self Care as a New Mother
When you’re a new mom, your self-care routine may seem like a distant memory. After all, how are you supposed to care for your needs when your baby requires your attention 24/7? How are you supposed to care for your needs when you’re consumed with brand-new tasks, such as changing nappies and breastfeeding? You’re exhausted. You’re overwhelmed. And you rarely get a break. It’s not uncommon for moms to say they have no time to even eat or shower!
But – you need to care for yourself! Here are a few tips for self-care as a new mother:
- Shower or bath – it will refresh you when feeling tired.
- Turn off all screens to regroup for 10 minutes – just breath.
- Be mindful – enjoy the present.
- Ask for help – friends and family are usually keen to help out
- Treasure every moment – your baby is little for such a short time!
- Sleep when baby sleeps – now is the time! Everything else can wait!
- Move your body – even if just walking in the Mall!
- Find community – you need to have people around you who understand how you feel.
- Eat nourishing food – what you eat is what your baby gets to eat!
- Keep Hydrated – especially while breastfeeding
- Laugh at least once a day – it will make you feel good!
- Buy postpartum clothes – you are so over your maternity clothes but still have an awkward size and shape so you need to be able to feel good and comfortable. A good purchase in the bra department is The Bravado Bra range!
Being a martyr and trying to do everything on your own will end up with you over-exhausted which is not good for you or your baby. Look after yourself, enjoy this fleeting moment with your new born.